Sunday, March 13, 2011

My 8 mile slow run with many lessons learned along the way...

After speaking with some runner friends this week I came to realize what I have always known but I have failed to acknowledge. LSD ( long slow distance) runs are meant to be SLOW! Most would say, DUH, after all, it is in the name! I always try to go out and do my best, keeping in mind slower is better on your long run days but there are times I ignore this and just let my body tell me how fast I should be going. This is great for race days but I NEED to stick to a set training program. I paid to have this program I am using now and I need to do what it says. On days I am supposed to run tempo, I need to do just that! I am learning that it DOES NOT make you a bad runner just because you are running your long runs slow, instead it makes you a SMART and in the long run a BETTER runner. This is my mission for this year. To become a smart runner who can then translate my training into success on race days. 

My motivation behind this comes from my triathlons last season. I did VERY well with my swim and bike times but I was always in the lower half of my age group with my runs. If I can become as lean as I can this year focusing on proper nutrition and running I really do feel it will help me start placing in my age group during my next triathlon season. I also feel it will help build my endurance so when I do start training for my ultimate goal, the Ironman 70.3 series, I will be leaner, stronger, smarter and well equipped for the challenge. In triathlons you have to be strong in all the sports to place in your age group. I am strong in 2 of the 3 sports and now for this year I intend on truly feeling as if I can compete with the running leg along with the other girls I race against in this sport. 

I have big goals, some I may reach others, I am not sure, but what I do know is I will NEVER be able to become the athlete I want to be if I do not train smart and listen to not only my body but those around me who know more than me!

I feel wonderful today. Taking it easy on my run was a nice change. My knee feels amazing, my hamstring from last weeks pull is still tight but doing great and my energy is off the charts today! Mile 5 and 6 were wonderful because I found a road with a steady incline for just over 2 miles that was GLORIOUS! It was not a hill but a nice, steady incline that gave me a perfect challenge. 

Overall, today was a success in every way and I hope that my efforts will translate into another loss of the scale this next week! Here's hoping!!! 
Many thanks for all your support, advice and motivation! Cheers! 
Fantastic run! I really worked hard to make sure I was keeping my pace slow...well except for the last mile, sorry but I had a ton of energy and I just felt great! 

Garmin Info - 
8 mile LSD 
1:25 AP 10:38 
Calories burned - 1,207 
Mile 1 - 10:52 
Mile 2 - 11:00 
Mile 3 - 10:38 
Mile 4 - 10:37 
Mile 5 - 10:48 Steady incline 
Mile 6 - 10: 49 Steady incline 
Mile 7 - 10:26 
Mile 8 - 9:57...sorry I know this is not good for an LSD but I just felt so wonderful and wanted to finish strong. I did not push myself too hard, I was just running strong and it just happened. It just goes to show the weight loss is making a BIG difference in my paces.

2 comments:

Kerrie said...

I really struggle with the slow thing, too. I know I need to slow down, but it's hard when you feel good! Nice run!

And thanks for the follow!

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing but I slowed down and started just enjoying that ONE day that I can just run at an easy pace. It makes the tempo and interval days be more important and makes me push a little harder, rather than running a tempo each time I go out. :) I do sprint at the end of mine too...just to make sure I AM nice and whipped when I'm done ;)