Friday, October 16, 2009

Pumpkin bread...

Here is the recipe I found for pumpkin bread. I have not made this yet but it sure sounds good!! I am changing the recipe somewhat and adding walnuts and raisins.....

From Good Housekeeping November issue
Healthy makeover pumpkin bread

1 cup of light brown sugar ( I use splenda brown sugar)
2 lg egg whites
1 cup of pure pumpkin
1/4 cup of canola oil ( I replace this with applesauce and 2 tbsp of light olive oil)
1/3 cup of low fat plain yogurt
1 cup of all purpose flour
3/4 cup of whole wheat flour ( I use 1 3/4 cups of all whole wheat flour, no white)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg ( I use a small amount of apple pie spice as well)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
I am also adding 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts and 1/2 cup of raisins.

Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 45 - 50 mins in a sprayed 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 metal loaf pan. Cool for 10 mins.

My house will smell so nice this evening with the bread in the oven, the seasonal candles lit and the homemade wassel on the stove! Can you tell I love this time of year? :)

Have a blessed and beautiful weekend!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

yummmmm. I love the substitutes! Will try this on Sunday...I have some leftver pumpkin which will go bad otherwise!