Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Great day! CST with outside run.

Today was another chance for me to experiment a bit with my routine. I love days where I work the chest because push ups are a favorite of mine.  It was not always the case. I have blogged about this before but back in January of this year we bought the system P90X, which involves allot of push ups for chest work. 

With my husband watching me I could not do two "boy" push ups. I kept working the program and before I knew it, I was pushing away!  My previous PR for "boy" push ups with several variations...close grip, diamond..etc.. was 212 and today I reached a new personal best of 240...(not including warm up push up set) I was so happy and I am looking forward to seeing what I can do by January of 2009 which will be one year from the date that I could not do any, what a difference a year makes! It is true, persistence pays off! 

I did 18 variations today and find that it really increases the intensity for me more than the standard type of push up. I do not want to just meet high numbers, I want to gain strength and build muscle through watching my form and looking for good quality push ups that will take my muscles to their limit.  So that I could watch my form and focus on each move I broke each move up and worked each type of push up at one time before moving to the next. It was a fast pace to keep my HR high but I did rest a bit between some of my sets. 

After "pushing" my self, I went outside for my run. I felt good today but as I said yesterday, slow and steady is the name of the game this week so I limited my self in terms of my speed as well as my distance until I am sure that my knee is better. 

I finished the day with a second workout of CST and it really burned me out for sure! By the end of it I was ready for a bath and the worlds largest protein shake, but I never felt better because I knew that I pushed it so hard today in every way and I did my best....what more could I want!! 

Workout 1 - Pushup Sets with 50 min run/walk 

Warm up set of what I call "back of couch push ups" standing and leaning on the back of the couch down to a push up - 50 reps....these are not included in my total for my PR as I am standing, but it makes for a great warm up for the chest muscles. 

T - push ups - 10 reps 
T - push ups with curl under - 10 reps 
Grasshopper or Scissor - 10 reps  
Spiderman or Core  - 15 reps 
Standard - 30 reps 
Wide fly - 10 reps 
Close grip- 10 reps 
Diamond - 15 reps 
Plange - 10 reps 
Push plus or Cat push ups - 10 reps 
Inchworm - Walking or side to side push - 15 reps 
Hindu or Divebomber - 10 reps 
Incline push on step - 20 reps
Slow 4x2 count Close grip - 10 reps 
Sow 4x2 count Standard - 10 reps 
Slow 4x2 reps Diamond - 10 reps 
Feet on balance ball push - 20 reps 

Total not including warm up - 240 - Personal Best!! 

Cardio - 5 min walk warm up followed by a 35 min run, then a 1o min walk. 50 min total

Time -  102 mins 
Calories burned - 1,002 
AHR - 146/76% Zone 3  MHR - 183/95% Zone 5 


Workout 2 - ST - Chest, Shoulder and Triceps 

Chest Key Press on balance ball - 

Set 1 -  15 reps with 25 lb DBs 
Set 2 - 20 reps with 17 lb DBs 
Set 3 - 25 reps with 11lb DBs 
Set 4 - 15 reps with 17 lb DBs 

Alternating Chest press on balance ball - 

Set 1 - 20 reps with 25lb DBs 
Set 2 - 20 reps with 17 lb DBs 

One arm front raise - 4 sets for each arm -  

Set 1 -  15 reps with 17lb DBs 
Set 2 - 20 reps with 11 lb DBs 
Set 3 -  15  reps with 17lb DBs 
Set 4 - 20 reps with 11 lb DBs 

One arm side raise - 4 sets for each arm - 

Set 1 -  15 reps with 11lb DBs 
Set 2 - 10 reps with 17 lb DBs 
Set 3 -  30 reps with 6.6lb DBs 
Set 4 - 15 reps with 11 lb DBs 

Arnold Press - 

Set 1 -  20 reps with 17lb DBs 
Set 2 - 30 reps with 11 lb DBs 
Set 3 -  40 reps with 6.6lb DBs 
Set 4 - 30 reps with 11 lb DBs 

Alternating Seated Shoulder Press - 

Set 1 -  12 reps with 25lb DBs 
Set 2 - 20 reps with 17 lb DBs 
Set 3 -  40  reps with 11lb DBs 
Set 4 - 50 reps with 6.6 lb DBs 

Standing Shoulder Press with Squat - 

Set 1 -  8 reps with 17lb DBs 
Set 2 - 20 reps with 11 lb DBs 
Set 3 -  8  reps with 17lb DBs 
Set 4 - 40 reps with 6.6 lb DBs 

Two Arm Tricep Pulldown with 40 lb Green P90X bands -  3 sets of 15 reps 

Two Arm Tricep Overhead Extensions with 40 lb Green P90X bands - 3 sets of 15 reps 

One Arm Tricep Pulldowns with 40 lb Green P90X band - 4 sets of 10 pluse reps for each arm. 

Dips - 3 sets of 15 reps 

Time - 58.21 mins 
Calories burned - 556 
AHR - 143/74% Zone 3 MHR - 179/93% Zone 5 

Totals for the day - 
Time -  160 mins 
Calories burned - 1,558















No comments: